FAQ – Facials
Who are facials good for?
Facials are great option for anyone that wants a clear, balanced complexion. They provide deep cleansing with the mixture of professional grade products, technology, and the knowledge of a professional esthetician who understands skin conditions and anatomy. Facials can maintain the health of skin, address and correct certain skin conditions, and improve the overall appearance and texture of your skin.
Facials are available to both men and women of any age and those that need to combat specific skin issues. However, there are some conditions that can prevent the performance of some or all facial services. They include:
- Contagious diseases such as HIV, herpes or hepatitis, pinkeye, or ringworm
- Skin disorders or diseases
- Pregnancy (unless cleared by your physician)
- Skin Irritation
- Allergies to products and ingredients
- Severe, uncontrolled hypertension
- Limited services can be performed (sometimes with medical clearance):
- Electrical contraindications like pacemakers and implants
- Medical Conditions
How often do I need a facial?
It is recommended to have a deep cleansing facial at least one a month. Greater frequency may be required for facials that target a specific skin concern or are corrective in nature
What are the benefits of a facial?
Regular facial treatments:
- Deep Cleanse
- Professional exfoliation
- Increase Circulation and Detoxifies
- Relaxes the senses, nerves, and muscles
- Stimulates skin functions and metabolism
- Slows premature aging
- Treats conditions such as dryness, oiliness, or redness
- Softens wrinkles and aging lines
- Helps clear up minor blemishes and acne
- Professional extractions
What are extractions?
Extractions are the removal of impurities and impacted pores – specifically, blackheads, whiteheads, milia (hardened “sesame seed” like whiteheads), and sebaceous filaments (pores blocked by oil produced in the skin). Removal of these impactions allow reduces pore size while allowing them to “breathe”.
How do I prepare for a facial?
We will remove any makeup you are wearing prior to your facial. However, if you arrive with no makeup we will have more time to focus on other, more results-driven elements of your facial.
How do I know what type of facial I need?
Our estheticians are trained and licensed to properly identify various skin types, conditions, and the proper approach to each. Based on your intake form, consultation, and a thorough skin analysis she will be able to suggest the best approach to reaching your skin care goals.
What is a chemical peel?
Chemical peels are a type of exfoliation treatment.
What are the benefits of a chemical peel?
Chemical peels remove dead skin cells resulting in:
- Improved skin texture
- Increased skin cell turnover
- Reduced fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction or removal of dark spots (sun damage and hyperpigmentation)
- Stimulation of elastin and collagen (substances that make your skin firm and toned)
- Smoother softer skin
What are the side effects of a chemical peel?
Chemical peels remove layers of skin which will temporarily make your skin more sensitive to sun exposure. As a result, it is necessary to wear at least an SPF 30 for protection and avoid the sun while receiving chemical peel treatments.
Because chemical peels exfoliate it is not unusual to experience actual flaking and peeling. This will subside within a few days.
How do I prepare for a chemical peel?
- Avoid exfoliation treatments at least 24 hours prior to your treatment.
- If you are taking Accutane or using Retinol based products you should refrain from use for 48 hours and/or consult with your physician before receiving a treatment.
- You should also limit your sun exposure and avoid tanning beds
- Do not wax or have any hair removal treatments
- Avoid skin brightening products
- Be aware of any allergies you may have
How often can I have a chemical peel treatment?
Chemical peels can be performed in individual treatment or in a series of treatments to see more significant results. Some chemical peels are gentle enough to receive treatments every 2 to three weeks while others are safer to receive every 4 to 6 weeks. Your esthetician can discuss a treatment planned designed specifically for you and your skin care goals.
Is there any down time with a chemical peel treatment?
The type of chemical peels performed at Glow Beauty Bar do not result in any down time.
Who should avoid chemical peels?
- Recent cosmetic surgeries, laser resurfacing, chemical peels, or dermabrasion
- Recent injectables, fillers, or Botox
- Allergies or sensitivities to products or ingredients
- Pregnancy (unless medically cleared by your physician)
- Herpes Simplex
- Hyperpigmentation tendencies
- Inflamed rosacea or acne
- Open sores or suspicious lesions
- Sunburned or irritated skin
- Photosensitizing medications (makes skin very sensitive to sun)
- Those taking antibiotics
- Other contraindicated drugs or medication
What is microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a mechanical form of exfoliation. We use a diamond tip (metal attachment with an abrasive surface) and soft vacuum to gently remove and suction dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. The benefits are diminished:
- Sun Damage
- Open and Closed Comedones (blackheads and whiteheads)
- Fine Lines
- Enlarged Pores
- Coarsely Textured Skin
Is there any down time for a microdermabrasion treatment?
There is no down time with a microdermabrasion treatment.
How often can I have microdermabrasion treatments?
Microdermabrasion treatments can be performed individually or in a series for more dramatic results. Clients often begin with a series of three weekly visits and then maintain the results with monthly treatments.
What is a microcurrent facial?
Sometimes referred to as a “weekend facelift”, microcurrent is a low level of electrical current that mirrors the body’s own natural current. It’s proven and accepted properties and potential range of applications from wound healing, muscle rehabilitation, and macular degeneration. It is a popular non-invasive service that gives you the freedom to attain anti-aging goals without the recovery, downtime, and expense of surgeries.
What types of results can I expect from a microcurrent facial?
Together, the system of products and technology firms and smooths the skin, offering an outstanding age-defying facial. Skin is re-hydrated, circulation is improved, and a revitalized appearance is achieved after the first application. The treatment will help overly-tightened muscles to relax and helps under worked muscles to regain strength. Essentially, the machine “re-educates” the facial muscles and restores them back almost to their original shape
Is this treatment painful?
No. In most cases it is sub-sensory, and many people find it quite relaxing though you may experience slight muscle twitches and a metallic taste in your mouth.
Who should avoid a microcurrent facial?
Those with pacemakers, epilepsy, cancer, pregnancy, phlebitis, or anyone under a doctor’s care should avoid microcurrent facials.
What is the post care for a microcurrent facial?
Though results can be seen after one treatment it is recommend that you receive two weekly treatments for five to six weeks. Monthly visits will help retain your results after receiving a series of treatments.